GCU

ESOL

GCU

MISSION STATEMENT

The purpose of the Certificate program in ESOL is to develop students’ academic and intercultural communication skills, vital to life in the United States. The program provides a complete course of instruction as well as electives in the linguistic and pragmatic aspects of the English language, thereby enabling students to acclimate to and fully participate in diverse communities ranging from local to international and college to university.

OBJECTIVES

• Offer a curriculum that is based on consistent quality and continuous research in order to stay abreast of trends in the field.
  • Carefully evaluate each student individually during the recruitment process and provide the necessary academic guidance and support in order to enable them to achieve their English language learning goal.
  • Build upon students' academic, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds.
  • Assess and monitor students’ academic progress utilizing an ongoing evaluation process.
  • Encourage students to learn about American culture in order to bridge cultural differences and ease the transition into American schools and culture.
  • Recruit and maintain highly qualified and experienced instructors who understand students' needs.
  • Provide staff development in appropriate instructional, counseling, and assessment strategies for instructors and administrators.

OUTCOMES

• Communicate effectively by speaking clearly and coherently in academic, professional, and social settings.
  • Implement the necessary writing skills and grammatical structures accurately and efficiently to produce well-written, well-organized paragraphs and essays.
  • Apply essential reading and vocabulary strategies to comprehend, analyze, and explain ideas in texts.
  • Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills by applying new language skills.
  • Develop an understanding of the various cultures in the United States.

OVERVIEW

The ESOL Certificate Program is a non-credit program. The program is based on clock hours, and its courses are not applied to credit-bearing certificates or degree programs. Classes meet four days a week, Monday through Thursday, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, for a total of 20 hours of classroom instruction. Our classes range in size, with the maximum set at 12 and the minimum set at 6. We limit classes to 12 students to ensure each student receives quality instruction in order to maximize the learning experience.

The program consists of the following:
  • Pre-Beginner Courses: organized into two levels of proficiency, and containing separate classes for Grammar, Writing, Speaking and Listening, and Reading.
  • Core courses: organized into six levels of proficiency and containing separate classes for Grammar, Writing, Speaking and Listening, and Reading.
  • Specific Purposes Track (SPT) courses: Academic Writing, Speaking and Pronunciation for Academic Study, American Culture, Cross-Cultural Communication, Critical Reading and Writing, American Fiction, and English for Business.
  • Summer Track Courses (STC) – Explore America: including Everyday Conversation and Current Events.
  • Elective Courses: Current electives include standardized test preparation for TOEFL.

PLACEMENT AND ORIENTATION

Upon registration, new and transfer students are administered placement tests consisting of objective, speaking, and written aspects to determine their individual levels. Students may not select their own level of study and must follow the placement committee's decision. However, to ensure correct placement, class performance is observed during the first three days of the session, and placement adjustments may be made.
In addition to a placement assessment, students are given a brief orientation to Georgia Central University outlining our policies and procedures prior to the beginning of each quarter. Our faculty and staff are always available to assist students with questions and concerns they have.

CURRICULUM

Courses Offered

PRE-BEGINNER COURSES
Abilities Levels Course Numbers Course Titles
Pre-Beginner 1 Level PB1 ESOL 001 Grammar PBI
Reading PBI
Speaking and Listening PBI
Writing PBI 
Extensive Reading PBI
Pre- Beginner 2 Level PB2 ESOL 002 Grammar PBII
Reading PBII
Speaking and Listening PBII
Writing PBII
Extensive Reading PBII

CORE COURSES
Abilities Levels Course Numbers Course Titles
Beginner Level 1 ESOL 100 Grammar I
Reading I
Speaking and Listening I
Writing I
Extensive Reading I
High Beginner Level 2 ESOL 200 Grammar II
Reading II
Speaking and Listening II
Writing II
Extensive Reading II
Intermediate Level 3 ESOL 300 Grammar III
Reading III
Speaking and Listening III
Writing III
Extensive Reading III
High Intermediate Level 4 ESOL 400 Grammar IV
Reading IV
Speaking and Listening IV
Writing IV
Extensive Reading IV
Advanced Level 5 ESOL 500 Grammar V
Reading V
Speaking and Listening V
Writing V
Extensive Reading V
Master Advanced Level 6 ESOL 600 Grammar VI
Reading VI
Speaking and Listening VI
Writing VI
Extensive Reading VI

SPECIFIC PURPOSES TRACK COURSES (SPT)
Course Numbers Course Titles
SPT 700 Academic Writing I
SPT 710 Academic Writing II
SPT 720 Speaking & Pronunciation for Academic Study I 
SPT 730 Speaking & Pronunciation for Academic Study II
SPT 740 American Culture I: American Studies
SPT 750 American Culture II: Life in Society
SPT 760 Cross-Cultural Communication
SPT 770 Critical Reading and Writing
SPT 780 American Fiction
SPT 790 English for Business

ELECTIVE COURSES (ELC)
Course Numbers Course Titles
ELC 810 TOEFL Preparation I: Reading and Listening
ELC 820 TOEFL Preparation II: Speaking and Writing

SUMMER TRACK COURSES (STC)
Abilities Course Numbers Course Titles
Beginning  STC 150 Everyday Conversation 00I
Current Events 00I
High Beginning STC 250 Everyday Conversation 0I
Current Events 0I
Intermediate STC 350 Everyday Conversation I
Current Events I
High Intermediate STC 450 Everyday Conversation 00II
Current Events 00II
Advanced STC 550 Everyday Conversation 0II
Current Events 0II
Master Advanced STC 650 Everyday Conversation II
Current Events II

Combined Levels

ESOL Core Levels may be combined as shown below:

ESOL 001 and ESOL 002 may be combined and taught in rotation.
ESOL 100 and ESOL 200 may be combined and taught in rotation.
ESOL 300 and ESOL 400 may be combined and taught in rotation.
ESOL 500 and ESOL 600 may be combined and taught in rotation.

ESOL FACULTY & STAFF

Georgia Central University faculty and staff are all administrative and educational professionals with solid reputations in their respective fields. In addition to having worked in the United States, all ESOL instructors have acquired extensive intercultural and pedagogical skills via vast overseas experience. Moreover, the majority of them hold advanced degrees in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Linguistics, or Education. GCU’s commitment to quality and self-evaluation is evident not only in our teachers’ excellence but also in our staff as evinced by our dedication to professional development locally and nationally.

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS

I-20 (F-1, J-1) STUDENTS

Submit the following to the Admissions Office:
  • Completed GCU application form.
  • $100 application fee
  • $100 SEVIS DS-2019 application fee
  • Copy of passport information page
  • Bank verification of sufficient funds for one academic year of study (approximately $20,000 USD)
  • If the student is not the bank account holder, the person responsible for the student's tuition, fees, and living expenses must provide an affidavit of support.
  • Proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).
  • Once all the required documents have been submitted, Georgia Central University will issue a DS-2019 form and acceptance letter within 15 business days. It is recommended to apply to Georgia Central University's ESOL program at least 60 days prior to the start of the desired session of study. The application may be faxed with supporting documents, but the original documents must be mailed or presented upon arrival.
  • Sign the bottom of the DS-2019 form and pay a $180 SEVIS fee (at https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.jsp), and print out Form I-901.
  • Go to the American Embassy or Consulate to apply for a visa. Bring acceptance letter, DS-2019 form, and Form I-901, and all other documents required by the embassy or consulate.

NON I-20 (F-1, J-1) STUDENTS

Submit the following to the Admissions Office:
  • Completed GCU application form.
  • $100 application fee
  • Copy of passport information page or resident alien card

COURSES DESCRIPTIONS

Grammar

These courses are based on the idea that students learn more, remember more, and use language more effectively when they learn grammar in context. The grammar is presented in interesting contexts that are relevant to students’ lives. Additionally, the courses make sure to point out the obvious connections between grammar and writing, demonstrated through writing models and enhanced by editing practice for relevant application of target points. Students gain knowledge in both grammatical structures and a diverse array of topic areas. They learn how to use English grammar structures accurately in both speaking and writing.

Speaking and Listening

The purpose of these courses is to help students develop the language skills needed to achieve academic success. Students will develop academic literacy skills by connecting to the real world through content, images, and video from National Geographic Digital Media. In these courses, students learn to become more active and informed listeners in lectures and conversations, as the courses include short, controlled passages at the beginning levels to authentic lectures and video segments at the more advanced levels. Communication skills are taught and practiced through realistic contexts that model the academic classroom. Students also learn to participate more confidently in conversations and group discussions and to give both formal and informal presentations by learning presentation skills, including organization, preparation, and delivery techniques. Instruction and feedback on pronunciation are also provided.

Reading

Reading courses provide the essential reading skills and vocabulary development for maximum academic readiness. The readings tap into students' curiosity about the world, naturally encouraging inquiry and opportunities to synthesize information. They cover a wide range of real-world topics related to travel, natural history, wildlife, food, technology, science, culture, etc. Students learn essential reading skills by performing comprehension activities that cover question types commonly found on standardized tests. A comprehensive, three-part vocabulary development program builds student confidence as they encounter new or unfamiliar words in academic texts.

Writing

In these courses, students are provided with clear explanations and extensive practical activities to help them write great sentences, paragraphs, and essays. Each course contains a wide variety of writing models in carefully selected rhetorical styles that provide practice in working with the writing process to develop a final piece of writing. Students perform structured activities that help them to master writing tasks quickly. The courses provide student writing models to help students focus on specific writing skills and multiple rhetorical structures. Students also engage in timed writing activities that prepare them for success on standardized tests like the TOEFL.