GCU

SCHOOL OF DIVINITY

GCU

PURPOSE

The Master of Arts in Mission Studies and World Christianity (MAMSWC) aims to integrate academic and practical theology studies with modern mission studies, concentrating on urban or global studies. The program includes biblical and theological foundations, cross-cultural perspectives, and analysis of historical and contemporary issues in mission, ministry skills, and missionary partnership opportunities. It integrates evangelism, community development, church planting, strategies, social concerns, contextual theology, and God's global mission.

OBJECTIVES

Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Mission Studies and World Christianity program, students will:
  • be able to comprehend the Bible and its introductory, critical, historical, geographical, and cultural background based on hermeneutics,
  • clarify the various concepts of mission, including evangelism, social responsibilities, urban mission, and Missio Dei,
  • understand the characteristics of urban and global mission issues and trends,
  • distinguish the different cultural and social customs to understand indigenous peoples and to connect with social agencies such as welfare departments closely, and
  • develop skills to manage and mobilize resources for world evangelism.

COMPONENTS AND REQUIREMENTS

Course Requirements

The program requires 60 semester hours for graduation: 18 courses (54 credits) and a final project/thesis (6 credits). In addition, MAMSWC students must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or more to be eligible for graduation, with no more than one course completed with a grade of "C-" or below.

Course Distribution

The program's courses comprise four fields of specialization that students may select: religious heritage, cultural context, personal and spiritual formation, and capacity for ministerial and public leadership. The MAMSWC students must complete four courses (12 credits) in School Core, seven courses (21 credits) in MAMSWC Core, six credits in Final Project/Thesis, and seven courses (21 credits) in Electives.

Final Project/Thesis

Students will write a thesis or a project as a part of graduation requirements. They will examine the implications and possibilities of theological study for future ministry or life enrichment. A Project/Thesis Seminar will be provided for each candidate in their second year, with faculty members to help and guide them to complete their project/thesis. A tutorial for writing the thesis will be held in an informal arrangement with a faculty member; the faculty member will meet the student as needed to offer guidance and criticism. The spring term Thesis Tutorial is pro forma, allowing the candidate to complete the final form of the thesis/project for presentation to the Thesis Committee.

Institutional Requirement

GCU requires all students to attend WS501 Institutional Requirement (chapel) every semester through graduation. Students will receive a Pass/Fail grade on Institutional Requirements.

CURRICULUM

School Core: 4 courses + RP700 (18 credits)

Courses Credit Hours
NT501 Introduction to the New Testament 3
OT501Introduction to the Old Testament 3
TH506 Life and Doctrine of Christ 3
RW500 Research and Writing 3
RP700 Final Project/Thesis 6
Total 18

MAMSWC Core (8 courses; 24 credits)

Courses Credit Hours
CH502 History of Christianity II 3
ME501 Evangelism and Discipleship 3
ME502 Biblical Foundation of Mission 3
ME505 History of Christian Mission 3
ME510 Indigenous Church Planting and Growth 3
ME520 Christian Mission and Anthropology 3
TH501 Systematic Theology 3
ME521 Mission Practicum 3
Total 21

Electives (6 courses; 18 credits)

To complete the program, students are to take seven courses as electives in the areas of their interest.

SUGGESTED COURSE SEQUENCING

The expected completion of this program consists of two academic years (four semesters).
First Semester Credit Hours
ME500 Introduction to the Christian Mission 3
ME502 Biblical Foundation of Mission 3
NT501 Introduction to the New Testament 3
Two Electives 6
Total 15

Second Semester Credit Hours
ME505 History of Christian Mission 3
OT501 Introduction to the Old Testament 3
TH501 Systematic Theology I 3
Two Electives 6
Total 15