WHAT IS ASSESSMENT
Assessment is an ongoing process to determine the effectiveness of an institution's educational programs, support services, and operations. It is a systematic approach to providing evidence of continuous improvement in programs, services, and operations.
At GCU, assessment is expected to:
- Be an ongoing process that serves as a formative means of assessing each a unit's mission and purpose.
- Involve a systematic gathering, analyzing, and interpreting of data to determine how well performance matches expectations.
- Provide evidence of continuous improvement in the institution's educational programs, support services, and operations.
WHY IS ASSESSMENT IMPORTANT
We engage in assessment activities for four main reasons:
Institutional Assessment Report 2016-2018 [pdf] INSTITUTIONAL ASSESSMENT REPORT 2018-2019 [pdf] INSTITUTIONAL ASSESSMENT REPORT 2019-2021 [pdf]
- Improve educational programs, support services, and operations, through assessment results that identify areas for change.
- Support decision-making processes, planning, program reviews, and accountability.
- Demonstrate that a program or service is accomplishing what it claims it is accomplishing or that students are learning what it is intended that they learn.
- Inform students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders of student learning or of a program or service and its impact.